MCK CHESS CLUB
INTERSCHOOL CHESS ZONAL
On Tuesday 6 September, the McKinnon chess squad consisting of Steve Le Year 10, Tim Nicolaides Year 10, Aryan Jayanty Year 11, Gregory Wen Year 11, Peter Nguyen Year 11, Jonathan Kui Year 10, Alex Nguyen Year 11, Howie Nguyen Year 9, Alex Do Year 8 and Luka Dodos Year 7 traveled to Camberwell Grammar School to compete in the Chess Victoria Interschool Zonal tournament for Term 3.
It was a long and grueling day with over four hours on the chessboard but the McKinnon chess team showed they can be very competitive against the traditionally top chess schools in Victoria. Team A came 3rd among 22 teams and won our school’s first chess trophy in many years.
Team B also performed admirably, coming 10th overall. This fantastic result means that the McKinnon chess team will compete in the State Finals in October.
The individual results were as follows:
- Steve Le (6 pts, 4th overall)
- Tim Nicolaides (5.5 pts, 9th overall)
- Peter Nguyen (5 pts, 23rd overall)
- Howie Nguyen (4.5 pts, 33rd overall)
- Jonathan Kui (4 pts, 35th overall)
- Aryan Jayanty (4 pts, 42nd overall)
- Gregory Wen (4 pts, 49th overall)
- Luka Dodos (3.5 pts, 61st overall)
- Alex Do (3.5 pts, 65th overall)
- Alex Nguyen (3 pts, 72nd overall)
Note: Individual total point is out of 7 and ranking is out of 128.
MCK CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP 2022
The McK Chess Championship came to a successful conclusion in late August after weeks of competitions. Congratulations to Steve Le of 10H winning the coveted grand prize in his first attempt, beating a lot of McK Titled players along the way. As a result, he has also been awarded the McK Rook Class player title for passing the McK rating of 1250+. Other players who were awarded a new McK player title and badge include: Peter Nguyen Year 11 (Bishop Class) and Rowan Shahar (Pawn Class).
Players’ awards were presented at the last General Assembly.
The final results were:
- Steve Le Year 10 (Champion)
- Aryan Jayanty Year 11 (Runner-Up)
- Gregory Wen Year11 (3rd Place)
- Rowan Shahar Year 12 (4th Place)
Visit the championship website for more details and pictures.
McK Chess Club