The Secondary School Vaccine Program offers free vaccines to help make sure students and communities are protected from diseases such as diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, human papillomavirus (HPV) and meningococcal A,C,W,Y.
Local councils deliver the program and schools distribute the information and consent card booklets.
The Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 authorises secondary schools to provide their local council with student and parent/guardian contact information for any student scheduled to receive a vaccination. This information assists local councils to follow-up parents/guardians of students with incomplete or missing consent cards.
What information goes to local council?
Schools provide the following basic student and parent/guardian contact information:
Student name, gender, date of birth, year level, class, language(s) spoken at home
Parent/guardian names, phone numbers, email and postal addresses
Why do schools provide this information?
- To ensure all Year 7 and 10 students are offered the opportunity to access free vaccinations at school.
- To improve communication with parents/guardians regarding their child’s vaccination needs
- To reduce the administrative burden on school staff to follow-up consent cards
What do I need to do?
- Your information will be provided to Brimbank Council in March 2021. If you do not wish for your details to be provided, please advise the school in writing before 26th February 2021.
- Read the information provided in your child’s consent card booklet and complete all sections, regardless of whether or not you consent for your child to be vaccinated as part of the school-based program.
- Detach Part A of the consent card booklet with all fields completed, and return to school.
Every day vaccination saves lives and makes it possible for Victorians to live free from the illness and disability caused by many infectious diseases. All Year 7 and 10 Victorian secondary students can receive these vaccines for free.
For further information please go to the following links:
Privacy – Taylors Lakes Secondary College Compass/School Documentation/Policies