Annual General Meeting
OUT WITH THE OLD, AND IN WITH THE NEW
Just as the new moon marks a time for new beginnings, new Committee members mark a time for growth and prosperity. After much deliberation, prior to the AGM this week, I chose to not renominate for the role of MJBC President and requested the Vice President, Nick Thompson, nominate and lead the Club to great things.
Back in 2016, after experiencing basketball Season 1 which was fraught with frustration from observing missed opportunities for the MJBC boys, I and a few great people, took hold of the wheel to steer MJBC into where it is today. I am delighted beyond measure to reflect on those achievements and what has been substantial change, such as:
- 250% growth in members (119 to 295).
- 195% growth in team numbers (19 to 37).
- MJBC standardised uniforms (and reversible so we don't wear KDBA's old rags).
- Over 20 student coaches.
- A Coach and Team Manager for all teams.
- A 12-person strong Committee.
- Electronic registrations and payments, plus our own bank accounts.
- Basketballs - YES, the Club never had even one!
- Training equipment and storage facilities.
- Polo's, hoodies and premiership caps.
- First ever U13 teams.
- Y7 Welcome Packs, Orientation Day and Open Day stalls.
- Newsletters, Facebook page, College website page, SharePoint repository, bball@mazenod email accounts.
- Perth Wildcats and Perth Lynx engagements.
- Club Days and Old Boys v Student games.
- Partnerships with the Parents & Friends and Mazenod Old Boys Association.
- Specialist training and development clinics for players and coaches from some greats, like Andy Stewart and Shawn Redhage.
- 2020 interstate and international tournament participation.
...and the list goes on.
All these things were the vision of opportunity, pursued, and achieved by the wonderful people, past and present on the MJBC Committee and many helpers. A special thanks to inaugural Committee member, Liz Linaker, former Treasurer and Registrar, who remains serving in 2020 as the senior teams' Registrar. You lead with integrity, live the Club values and work incredibly hard for MJBC.
Thanks to all our Committee who selflessly volunteer their personal time to support the College and our boys’ enjoyment of basketball. Without them, or our volunteering parent team managers and parent and student coaches, I have no doubt that such opportunities would not be availed to our boys.
I believe a Club is successful when all involved support each other in a positive manner, forever focusing on how to help each other as a team, toward improving Club outcomes.
To Nick and the newly elected MJBC Committee, I already see what fantastic direction you will take this huge Club. I wish you every success and will always continue to promote and support you, for the benefit of our boys enjoying the great game of basketball.
After 4 years' serving as your MJBC President, this is Michael Davey, Old Boy, signing off.
Retired President (2016-2019)
Mazenod Junior Basketball Club
|POSITION||2019 INCUMBENT||2020 Elected|
|Office Bearers (Executive)|
|Michael Davey||Nick Thompson|
|Liz Linaker||Liz Linaker|
|Assistant Registrar (y7,8,9)||Liz Linaker||Julz Thompson|
|Andrew Hollis||Andrew Hollis|
|Andrew Hollis||Kieran Stack|
Property (uniforms, etc)
|Jenny Simpson||Jenny Simpson|
Equipment (balls & bags)
|Claire Brajer||Claire Brajer|
|Julz Thompson||Sarah Cole|
|Julz Thompson||Julz Thompson|
(Newsletter & FaceBook)
|Tracey Hollis||Michelle Mycoe|
|Sarah Pasznicki||Sarah Pasznicki|
|Offers of assistance|||||
|General Helper||Michael Davey</|