Mission & Catholic Identity News
The Season of Advent
Coming up soon towards the end of November - is the season of Advent.
A reflection on Advent…
A Pointing to the star by Joan Chittister
Advent is the season of waiting.
Its function is to remind us what we’re waiting for as we go through life too busy with things that do not matter to remember the things that do.
When year after year we hear the same scriptures and the same hymns of longing for the life to come, of which this is only its shadow, it becomes impossible to forget the refrains of the soul.
Advent relieves us of our commitment to the frenetic in a fast-paced world.
It slows us down. It makes us think. It makes us look beyond today to the “great tomorrow” of life.
Without Advent, moved only by the race to nowhere that exhausts the world around us, we could be so frantic with trying to consume and control this life that we fail to develop within ourselves a taste for the spirit that does not die and will not slip through our fingers like melted snow.
It is while waiting for the coming of the reign of God, Advent after Advent, that we come to realise that its coming depends on us. What we do will either hasten or slow, sharpen or dim our own commitment to do our part to bring it.
Advent stands before us, within us, pointing to the star for which the wise ones from the East are only icons of ourselves.
We all want something more. Advent asks the question –
- What is it for which you are spending your life?
- What is the star you are following now?
- And where is that star in its present radiance in your life leading you?
- Solomon Island Immersion, 20 November 2019 to 28 November 2019.
- Year 12 Retreat (2020 cohort), 27 November 2019 to 29 November 2019.
- Advent Masses – 5 December 2019 CLN (period 2) & CRA (period 3) in the Cranbourne Hall.
- St Vincent de Paul Christmas Appeal. To donate goods please email here.
- Australian Catholic Youth Festival, Perth 8 December 2019 to 10 December 2019 (6 students, 1 staff member attending).
Deputy Principal - Mission & Catholic Identity