The John XXIII College Parents’ Association through Inspire ‐ Parent Education presents
‘Growing up online’ presented by Susan McLean
An informative & entertaining session for Parents and carers is delivered with Susan's famous 'no nonsense' approach & will cover the positive benefits of technology as well as what parents need to be aware of:
- What are kids doing online – The popular social networking sites and apps such as Secret Calculator, TikTok, Instagram & Yubo as well as live streaming sites.
- Online Grooming – What is it and when/how does it occur? What are the warning signs & what to do if you suspect this is happening to your child.
- Cyberbullying ‐ What it is, where it happens, what it looks like, how to prevent and what to do if it occurs. Also the legal consequences and the possible criminal charges.
- Sharing Nudes – the taking and sending of explicit images. The social and emotional consequences as well as the Law.
- Top Tips– how to assist the children in your care to stay safe online via parental controls and restriction passcodes.
- Problematic Internet use and gaming issues.
Tuesday 11 June 2019 at 7:00pm
Gonzaga Barry Lecture Theatre
Susan McLean is Australia’s foremost expert in the area of Cybersafety and young people. She was the first Victorian Police Officer appointed to a position involving Cybersafety and young people. She took her first report of cyberbullying in 1994 and since then she has conducted extensive research and has completed advanced training in this area in both the USA and UK and is a sought after presenter and advisor to Schools, elite sporting bodies such as the AFL, GP’s, and both State and Federal Governments.
She has authored resources for the Victorian DET, writes and reviews school Policy, provides crisis
management/advice to schools and law firms and is afforded ‘expert’ status on the Safer Internet
Programme Data Base. She recently co‐authored the NSW Govt. Review into mobile phones in schools.
Susan is the most highly qualified of all Federal Government eSafety Presenters. Susan is a member of the National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB) and is also a member of the Australian Government's
Cybersafety working group and a published author. Her book 'Sext's Texts & Selfies', is the definitive
guide for parents, teachers and carers to help children stay safe online.