The Power of Volunteering
It has been wonderful to welcome back our Rotary volunteers to our (COVID-safe) Breakfast Club. One of life’s pleasures is working together with others to help others – creating connected communities.
A recent State of Volunteering Report revealed:
- In 2019, 2.3 million Victorians aged 15 and over – 42.1% of the adult population volunteered.
- Victorian volunteers contributed $58.1 billion dollars of value to our economy last year, including:
- $19.4 billion in costs to replace the labour volunteers contribute to Victoria
- $8.2 billion contribution to Victoria’s Gross State Product (GSP).
- Collectively, our findings show investing in volunteering provides a net return of approximately $3.70 on every dollar invested.
How wonderful! But sadly, the report showed a recent decline:
The initial COVID-19 impact in April-May 2020 saw a 50.2% decline in the volunteering participation rate, from 42.1% (2.3 million) to 21.0% (1.1 million). There was a net decline in volunteering hours of almost two-thirds (64.1%) during this period.
Numurkah’s wonderful volunteers help create connections and greater sense of community; let’s encourage those who work for others and get involved if we can! Especially in these times when we need each other more than ever.