Dear Parents, Families and Community members,
A shortened week this week due to the Public Holiday on Monday, but still plenty happening across the school.
Kurt Fearnley Visits ACS!
When enquiring about a school that is leading the way in Inclusive Education, Kurt Fearnley and his team were directed to ACS.
Yesterday we were spoiled with a super special guest visit from Kurt who flew in from Newcastle so that he could meet us all. Kurt was here to record part of his podcast on disability in society which included input from some of our parents, students and Evan.
During his visit, Kurt hosted a whole school assembly where he delivered an inspirational speech about individual differences - that we all have them and how they are something we should embrace. He talked about the power of positive self talk and how it has helped him to achieve his many (MANY!) phenomenal accomplishments along the way.
For the first time in 2 years we had the entire student population together in one space, all completely engrossed in what our guest had to say.
When asked by our students ‘Who inspires you?’, Kurt promptly responded that anyone who sets a goal in any aspect of their life, commits to that goal and puts in the effort to achieve it, is someone who inspires him.
His message to us was clear; we don’t all have to be 3 time Olympic gold medalists or win over 40 marathons. What is important is that we believe in ourselves and focus on achieving the goals we set.
Ultimately, for any individual to be successful, Kurt told us that what is needed is a supportive community which fosters and encourages each person to reach their own personal goals, regardless of what they may be.
Parent Teacher Interviews
Next week, on Wednesday 23 March, we will be hosting our Term 1 Parent Teacher Student Learning Conferences. These will take place between 3:30pm and 7:30pm with 10 minute timeslots for each child.
The purpose of these meetings is to meet with teachers and discuss how your child has settled in to the new year, their learning progress to date as well as to consider future learning goals.
Some important things to note:
- Due to rapid turnover of meetings and the logistics of having so many parents moving in and around onsite at once (traffic management, people management/directions etc.) we will host these meeting remotely.
- Students who have had an SSG do not have a parent/teacher conference
- Bookings are currently open and will close on Monday 21 March @ 4pm.
- Bookings are made directly through Compass. There is a Green notification banner above your Newsfeed if you haven't already discovered this.
- Teachers will use Webex to host these meetings. A code will be sent out next week for you to access.
If you have any trouble making a booking please contact the office for assistance.
What a fabulous day! All of our students should be extremely proud of their commitment and achievement. It was a very close result but the winning house was....FANNING!!
A huge thank you to all those who helped on the day and made it such a success.
School Cross Country
A reminder that our School Cross Country will be held on Thursday 31st March. More details to follow.
Resource Smart Schools Program
Armstrong Creek School is a part of the Resource Smart Schools program and we are currently working on earning a star for the waste module. Through this module we are learning to minimise our impact on the environment by “reducing, reusing and recycling”.
To help us do this we have sets of 3 bins in our learning communities and playground. Paper goes in the blue bin, mixed recycling in the yellow and landfill is in the red bin. Some learning communities even have green bins for food scraps to go in the compost bin.
These are the posters we have in our learning communities to remind us of what can go in each bin.
National Ride2School Day - Friday 25th March
National Ride2school day is coming up (week 9, Friday 25th March) and ACS is jumping on board!!
We are encouraging students and staff to ride, walk, scoot or skate to school on National Ride2School day.
Students who ride, walk, scoot or skate will:
- receive 10 creek coins on arrival
- receive a National Ride2school certificate
- have the opportunity to ride their bike, scooter or skate board with their class during the day
- have their name put into a raffle to win a prize at assembly
- The class with the most participation will receive a prize
- A City of Greater Geelong counsellor will attend assembly to talk about the benefits of riding and present the prizes
Check out the 'Be Ready to Ride Checklist' to ensure you are ready to ride on Friday March 25th!
We have 8 pallets available to anyone who would like to upcycle them. Please contact the office if you are interested.
Take care and enjoy!