Bullying- Fact sheet for Parents and Students
Bullying is never ok. It’s hurtful and can have long term implications. Remember, you’re not alone. There are people you can talk to and things you can do to stop the bullying.
Why do people bully others?
There are lots of reasons why someone might bully others. Whatever the reason, bullying is never ok. Someone who bullies another person might:
- Feel jealous
- Want others to like them
- Want to feel better about themselves
- Want to fit in with their friends
- Feel angry inside
- Like to be in control or have power over others
- Have been bullied themselves
- Not know what they're doing is wrong
What to do if you’re being bullied?
There’s always something you can do.
Here are some ideas:
- Don’t bully them back
- Keep your distance from bullying
- Tell them what they are doing is not ok
- Talk to an adult you trust
- Take time to do something nice for yourself
- Have someone help you report cyberbully
Keeping our kids safe
One of the most important things we can do as educators, parents and caregivers is to protect our children by educating them about personal safety. Teaching children simple strategies about keeping safe can help them build confidence, resilience and empower them to be safe in a variety of situations.
Below are some resources to assist having these conversations at home. If you would like to discuss any of this information further please contact the school and ask for Wellbeing.
My Body Safety Rules - 5 things every child should know
From Educate2Empower Publishing (www.e2epublishing.info) - My Body Safety Rules animation for children.Free download of printable Body Safety Rules poster: h...