Solar at SKiPPS
As we mentioned in our previous newsletter, St kilda park was chosen for a Greener Government School Buildings (GGSB) grant and, as a result, we will be installing a 29KW solar panel system on the roof of the BER building in the coming months.
This system will not only lower our power bills as a school but also reduce our carbon footprint and make our school operate in a more sustainable way.
We are looking forward to welcomeing Martin Foley and Nina Taylor, our two local (lower house and upper house) members of State Parliament to assembly this Friday (30th April) to celebrate this great news.
The good weather over the recent Easter break also meant we were able to complete phase 1 of repainting our beautiful 139 year old main school building.
The results of this job are spetacular and have returned ther front facade of our school to its former glory.
Check out some before and after shots below...
Access Road works
We thank you all for your patience and understanding whilst the access road and car park works are being undertaken. We know that not being able to use the road and parking further away can be a challenge but we are sure the short term pain will be worth the long term gain.
To clarify what is being done and why;
- the car park is staying the same size - the turn outs are just being opened up to allow for smoother traffic flow and to prevent cars waiting to enter from blocking cars from leaving (something which often caused complete gridlock).
- a 'kiss and go' zone is being created for easer quick drop-offs tht do not involve leaving your vehicle
- a second, fully compliant, disabled space is being created
- the access road is being widnened and resurfaced to allow for easier traffic flow and to ease congestion.
- a series of parallel parking spces are being created along the road toprevent car parking on (and blocking) the footpath
- whilst we have had to remove a mature tree to allow for the road widening, we will be replanting four new trees to compenstae for this loss.