"Is there anything more demonstrative of social solidarity than a choir? Many people unite to do something that cannot be done by a single person alone however talented he or she may be” – Zoltan Kodály
Last Friday evening was an early celebration of the festive season with the College Choirs presenting – A Very Choral Christmas. This was an evening of Christmas carols and feature performances from the Performance Chorale, Showcase Chorale, and College Choirs. One of the key highlights from the night was the premiere performance from the combined Franciscan Voices. This newly formed ensemble came about after the successful musical with Padua College. Choristers were requesting more opportunities to connect and perform with the musicians from Padua, and after several afternoon rehearsals the result was impressive. We anticipate this is something that will build momentum in the years to come.
The evening was also an opportunity to recognise excellence. We acknowledged our graduating seniors from the Mount Alvernia Voices Program, along with some special achievement awards. This year we congratulated the following members:
- Most Improved Chorister 2018:
- Francis School: Bridget Petersen
- Clare School: Lucie Hood
- Elizabeth Hayes School: Chloe McGibbon
- Most Committed Francis School Chorister 2018:
- Francis School: Hannah Slade
- Clare School: Sophie Patterson
- Elizabeth Hayes School: Grace Moore-O’Regan
- Most Outstanding Francis School Chorister 2018:
- Francis School: Nicole Paim-Cardoso
- Clare School: Chelsea O’Bryan
- Elizabeth Hayes School: Amy Strachan
- Outstanding Commitment to Choral Leadership 2018: Emily Lihou
A special thank you must go to the Choral Department Team – Ms Holley, Ms Crawford, Mr Curtis, and Mrs Panetta - for all the work and preparation they put into the performances for the choir throughout the year.
We look forward to continued success for our choirs in 2019.
Director of Choirs
Singing exercises your heart, lungs, and releases endorphins, making you feel good!