Child Safe Standards
The Child Safe Standards (the Standards) are compulsory minimum standards for all organisations that provide services to children including Victorian schools. The aim of the Standards is to ensure organisations are well prepared to protect children from abuse and neglect. It is recognised that many schools will have existing policies and procedures that aim to keep children safe.
The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) as regulator for all Victorian schools has responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Child Safe Standards in schools.
The Standards are:
- Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety
- Standard 2: A child safety policy or a statement of commitment to child safety
- Standard 3: A Child Safety Code of Conduct
- Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse
- Standard 5: Procedures for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Standard 7: Strategies to promote child participation and empowerment.