How to help your child with Mathematics:
Here are a few ideas:
1. Let your child help with shopping. Check prices and quantities.
2. Encourage estimation of time, quantities, length, groups of items.
3. Cooking is a great activity. Weighing, mixing, and checking cooking times are great ways to show maths working in the home/kitchen.
4. Setting the table helps children work out left and right concepts.
5. There are many activities to reinforce time concepts, e.g. Reading the clock, bedtime, teatime, how long it takes to get to places, calendar dates.
6. Games with money help children to understand the differences in our money system.
7. Growth charts are good for length concepts.
8. Practice number facts to 20, e.g. 6 + 4 = 10, 16 + 4 = 20.
9. Skip counting by 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s and 10’s.
10. Play games such as Snakes and Ladders and Monopoly.