Health

Secondary school head lice awareness

There has been reported cases of head lice in Year 10. Could parents please check their child for signs of head lice. 

 

Head lice fact sheet attached for your information.

 

Allergy Awareness

The College has students who have severe allergic reaction to nuts and other allergens. This reaction is called Anaphylaxis.  It is a severe, rapidly progressive allergic reaction that is potentially life threatening and requires urgent treatment.

 

Our school does its best to be an “Allergy Aware” School. The College can never totally eliminate the risk of an anaphylaxis and we cannot guarantee a totally allergen free environment.  The key to prevention of anaphylaxis in schools is knowledge of the student who has been diagnosed as at risk, awareness of allergens, prevention and avoidance of exposure to those allergens and action in the case of a reaction.

 

As a preventative measure could we please ask you to consider the students in our College who are at risk of anaphylaxis by educating your child:

  • To respect children who have food allergies.
  • Don’t share food or swap food. Don’t share eating utensils and drink containers.
  • Don’t share musical mouth pieces.
  • Wash hands before and after eating.
  • Ask your child to get help immediately if their allergic schoolmate becomes unwell.

If your child has a severe Food Allergy, please educate your child:

  • Not to share food or swap food. Don’t share eating utensils and drink containers.
  • Avoid drinking from drink bubbler.
  • Don’t share musical mouth pieces.
  • Wash hands before and after eating.
  • Food for your child should be supplied from home.
  • We request your child’s food allergy is stated if ordering food from the Canteen.
  • Parents are advised that your child must carry their Epipen and Action Plan  on them when age appropriate.
  • Students must carry their Epipen with them to off-site and after school activities eg. Sport, excursions, camps etc.
  • It is recommended that students with severe food allergies wear a medical alert bracelet/necklet.
  • Educate and empower your child to manage his/her allergy and ask for help immediately if feeling unwell.
  • For more information on allergies go to: www.allergy.org.au and www.allergyfacts.org.au

Jenny Hill

College Nurse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Resource: Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia