Congratulations to the following students who represented the college at the Athletics Victoria Nitro Challenge at Lakeside Stadium. The event consisted of a team of 10 students who competed in a range of events in order to score the highest possible at the end of the day.
Students included Zoe Cunningham, Kisarna Berntsen, Teiki Waata, Catriona MacMaster, Milly Webster, Millie Belleville, Aila Burke, Meka Barone, Emily Ryan and Jemmah Paton. A big thank you to Ms Dixon for accompanying and supporting the team at this event. The team finished in a remarkable 5th place overall and should be congratulated for their efforts on the day. Well done team!!
A large contingent of eager athletes represented MGSC with pride at the Beachside Athletics event on Monday 17 September. Although we were in the last week of term, with a number of tired and weary students, the smiles and excitement were aplenty. Below is a summary of some incredible achievements including some record breaking results by a number of students:
- Zoe Cunningham achieving a new record in shot put (11.55m), triple jump (10.06m), 100m sprint (13.37s), 200m sprint (26.60s), and the 4 x 100m relay team breaking a record together with Teiki Waata, Kisarna Berntsen and Hayley Thompson.
- Emily Ryan achieving a record in her shot put throw (13.57m), discus (37.40m) and an incredible effort in her Javelin (30.40m).
- Jemmah Paton running a speedy 100m at 10.89s
- Megan Blignaut throwing 23.04m in her discus event
- Milly Webster running a swift 100m in 13.01s.
- Four of the 4 x 100m relay teams have qualified to compete the Southern Metropolitan Regional Athletics carnival.
Well done to all competitors. This was a a tremendous bag of results and one which each of you should take pride in. Now for the SMR Athletics carnival. Go MGSC!
Talent Identification Program
Congratulations to Year 10 students Mikala Clarke, Rosie Byrne and Kayleigh McFadries for being selected to attend the AFL Sandringham Dragons Talent Identification session that was held during the holidays. All the girls enjoyed the experience and were very honoured to be selected to attend. As a result of their attendance and their skills, both Mikala and Rosie have been selected for the pre-season training for the rest of this year and next year! Great effort and well done to you all!
On Wednesday 26 September we attended a Talent ID day at Sandringham Dragons. We did all sorts of drills such as, agility tests, kicking, marking and hand-eye coordination skills. It was a difficult but fun experience and we are excited to see where this takes us!
Ms Ilana Parker
College House and Carnivals Coordinator