Pathways + Careers

Year 10 Work Experience

22 June - 26 June, 2020


Work Experience is compulsory for all Year 10 students at THS. Work experience is an opportunity for students to: 

>  develop employability skills

>  explore possible career options

>  understand employer expectations

>  increase their self-understanding, maturity, independence and self-confidence.

Students are placed with employers primarily to observe and learn – not to undertake activities which require extensive training or expertise.


Students are expected to find their own work experience placement and should now be contacting prospective employers to ask if they take work experience students.  Work experience should be about trying new opportunities and the Morrisby Report is a great resource to assist students in choosing an area of work they may be interested in.  Students can reach out to local businesses as well as their own networks e.g. family friends, friends’ parents and family dentist etc (a work experience supervisor should not be a close family member).  Once a student has confirmed their placement, they need to complete the Work Experience Arrangement Form.

If you have any queries please contact Jill Krew

Careers information

University Clinical Aptitude Test 

The University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) is an admissions test used by the UCAT ANZ Consortium of universities in Australia and New Zealand for their medical, dental, and clinical science degree programs.  Universities requiring the UCAT are listed at this link - Universities requiring the UCAT.  Students intending to apply for courses requiring the UCAT at any of these universities are reminded that they will need to book a test. 

Bookings will open on 2 March 2020 and close 11 May 2020 at 11.59pm AEST.  The testing dates will be within the month of July 2020.


Students who are preparing for entry into any of these courses are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the format of the test at UCAT Test Format  and the practice tests and preparation material provided at UCAT Preparation

Find out more at UCAT


Tax File Number (TFN)

Any student will need at tax file number if he/she starts work (part-time and full-time) and all students planning on a tertiary education require one when they start.

Importantly, current Year 12 students are reminded that they cannot enrol in a CSP (Commonwealth Support Place) course at university without a Tax File Number, so it is worthwhile getting an application submitted early.

Students must apply for a TFN online and have their identity verified through an interview at a participating Australia Post office. 


To apply and also to find out about participating Post Offices, visit TFN Application

La Trobe Uni Experience

Friday 3 April

Year 10, 11 and 12 students and their parents are invited to get hands-on experience and discover what being a uni student is really like.

You’ll attend workshops, lectures, seminars and meet the academics who’ll be teaching your course. Chat with current students and get the inside scoop on Life at La Trobe and what to expect when you study at La Trobe.

Please contact Jill Krew in the Pathways Office if you are interested or would like help to register.