Surviving Year 12 - A Few Tips for Parents
The final weeks of the VCE can be just as stressful for parents as it is for students. One of the most important gifts you can give your child is to support them in studying smart. Below are a few simple tips to help them increase the amount of information learnt and prolong the length of time the information is remembered.
- Guide, support and encourage your son or daughter.
- Don’t nag.
- Don’t tell them they will fail if they don’t work harder.
- Encourage healthy eating, regular exercise and plenty of sleep.
- Take their efforts seriously.
- Create an effective work space in the house if they can’t study in their room.
- Take a whole family approach to supporting the student.
- Don’t overload them with domestic chores.
- Let them know you’re there when they need you.
- Encourage them to believe in themselves.
- Remind them of their goals.
- Give them positive feedback whenever possible.
- Remember the final year is about them, not you.
- Encourage them to take study breaks when necessary.
- Help them put, and keep, the year in perspective.
- Keep an eye on their emotional health.
Source: Surviving Year 12 – A sanity kit for students and their parents: Dr Michael Carr Gregg
Summer Uniform Change Over
Students may begin Term Four in either their summer or winter uniform. By Monday 22nd October all students must be wearing the summer uniform. Hats are compulsory in Term 4.
Boys will be required to wear long trousers and a shirt and tie for Speech Day on Friday 26th October.