Victoria Police Work Experience Program 2019
Applications for the Victoria Police Work Experience Program 2019 are now open!
The Victoria Police Work Experience Program provides a fantastic opportunity for secondary school students considering a career within Victoria Police. Students are placed at police stations and department units where they will have the opportunity to observe and learn from our Police Officers, Protective Services Officers, Protective Custody Officers and VPS personnel.
Due to the limited number of work experience placements available, only students with a genuine interest in a career with Victoria Police will be nominated for the program. Our College has the opportunity to nominate only ONE student for the program in 2019. Please be advised that a nomination of a student does not automatically guarantee a placement.
What should students expect from the program?
Students placed at a police station may have the opportunity to:
- Provide administrative assistance including data entry, managing files, updating photo books, assisting the Property Officer and observing the back end of policing i.e. paperwork, filing
- Learn about the work of different units
- Inspect the different areas of a police station
- Listen to interview and pursuit tapes
- Look at the Victoria Police Intranet
- Observe court proceedings
- Listen to the police radio
Please note: It is highly likely that the placement will be mainly within the administrative units of a police station. Visits to other areas, police stations, places of interest such as courts, the Police Academy and specialised units are heavily dependent on the workload of the station that you are placed in. Due to safety and confidentiality requirements, there are some activities that are prohibited for students. These include:
- Accompanying police on foot or on vehicle patrols
- Handling weapons or ammunition
- Attending interviews of suspects
- Observing fingerprinting of offenders or suspects
- Attending traffic operations or 'booze bus' activities
Please also be advised that some areas of the police station may also be inaccessible to students.
Applications will close 3:00pm Friday 24th August 2018. No applications will be accepted after this time. Students will be advised of the outcome of their application by Tuesday 9th October 2018.
A student that is interested in applying for work experience with Victoria Police in 2019 MUST:
- Collect and complete an application form from Ms Bruce in the Careers Office and return it to her by 3:00pm Friday 24th August 2018. The application must be in printed copy as well as digital. Please note, there are legal consent documents that are required to be completed by Victoria Police as part of the application process. These must be submitted as part of your application to be considered being nominated.
Nominations are to be submitted through careers teachers only and this process will be completed by Ms Bruce after the application closing date. Each school can nominate one student to participate in the program for the year. Applications will only be considered if all required forms are completed correctly and signed accordingly.
Please be aware that there has been a change in the application process from previous years. Applications for placements occurring during Terms 1 and 2 of 2019 are to be submitted during Term 3 of 2018. Applications for Terms 3 and 4 of 2019 will be submitted during Term 1 of 2019. We will provide you with an email update in early 2019 with more information regarding Term 3 and 4 placement arrangements.
Please note that if you are unsuccessful in obtaining a placement for Terms 1 and 2, you may re-apply for a placement during Terms 3 and 4.
Term 1 and 2 Placement Dates:
4 March until 12 July 2019
Term 3 and 4 Placement Dates
15 July until 29 November 2019
Due to the popularity of the program and to ensure fairness to all students and schools, Victoria Police will be allocating students to placements based on a ballot. Students names will be randomly selected and allocated to a nominated preferred police station/department unit.
2019 Work Experience Locations
When submitting an application via the Victoria Police Work Experience Portal, students can list up to 5 preferences for their work location. Please encourage your students to apply for police stations/department units that are easily accessible for your student to avoid unnecessary travel and accommodation arrangements. Please be advised that we do not have a list of police stations to choose from. It is up to your student to determine which areas of Victoria Police they would like to submit an application for. We will endeavor to place them at their chosen work locations.
For more information, please see Ms Bruce in the Careers Office.