“A child’s mental health is just as important as their physical health and deserves the same quality of support.” – Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
In 2022, Melton West Primary School is taking part in a pilot project – Mental Health in Primary Schools. The Mental Health and Wellbeing Coordinator (MHWC) role is a dedicated resource with teaching qualifications out of the classroom to ensure I have capacity to dedicate time to the full spectrum of mental health and wellbeing needs within the school.
The specific aspects of the role are:
- embedding training across the school and building the capability of staff to better identify and support students with mental health concerns
- being a significant contributor to the school’s established wellbeing team
- supporting the school to create clear pathways for referrals for students identified as requiring further assessment and intervention and connecting with local community-based services
- proactively working with regional staff, school wellbeing and leadership teams, and other health professionals to engage appropriate mental health support
- supporting our school to implement effective mental health strategies aligned to social and emotional learning in the curriculum and whole- school approaches to health, wellbeing, teaching and learning initiatives.
Safer Internet Day was the 8th of February. This global initiative brings families, schools, organisations and governments from 170 countries together to raise awareness about online safety. There is no place for online abuse. We can all help to make life online enjoyable by being kind and respectful to each other. #PlayitFairOnline
This a link to the latest research that explores the opportunities and risks that the internet presents for children in Australia. https://www.esafety.gov.au/research/mind-gap-parental-awareness-childrens-exposure-risks-online
I am looking forward to working alongside our classroom teachers and school community to support the mental health and wellbeing of all our students and reduce mental health stigma.
Mental Health and Wellbeing Coordinator (MHWC)