Advice for parents and carers can be found on the Department website using the link below
- School staff and secondary school students aged 12 or older must carry a face mask at all times and wear a face mask indoors when at school, including when attending an Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) program, unless an exception applies. Masks must be worn outdoors when social distancing is not possble.
- Children under 12 years of age and students at primary school are not required to wear face masks when at school, or when attending an OHSC program.
- Face masks are mandatory for all school staff and school students aged 12 or older on public transport and when in taxis or ride share vehicles. This includes travelling to and from school on public transport or in a vehicle with others not from your household.
- There are a number of lawful excuses for not wearing a face mask, including for staff and students who are unable to wear a face mask due to the nature of their disability. This includes students or staff who have a medical condition, such as a breathing problem, a serious skin condition on the face, or a mental health condition.
- School staff are not required to wear face masks while teaching or caring, but those who wish to do so, can. Staff must wear face masks in indoor areas of the school when not teaching or caring.
- Visitors to school sites must also wear masks when indoors.
Practice good hygiene
All staff, students and visitors to schools should undertake regular hand hygiene, particularly on arrival to school, before and after eating, after blowing their nose, coughing, sneezing or using the toilet. Staff should direct or supervise young students where required.
Sharing of food is not recommended. Where this occurs, individual portions should be encouraged alongside strict hand hygiene.
Use non-contact greetings (not shaking hands, hugging or kissing).
Density limits do not apply in classrooms and other spaces for the purposes of student use, including corridors and other shared areas.
School Cleaning protocols still remain in place
COVIDSafe routine cleaning will be in place from Term 1, which involves daily end-of-school-day cleaning, with a particular focus on cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces, and the inclusion of some elements that were not cleaned every day prior to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Strict hand hygiene will be followed before and after use of shared equipment such as laptops and desktop computers. Wipes will be provided to allow for equipment to be cleaned after use.
Large events involving wider members of school community (i.e. parents/carers) will be planned in line with relevant restrictions in the community, adhering to indoor and outdoor patron limits as well as density limits. Any changes to events will be communicated via Compass.