Pathway to Secondary Education at St Philomena's Catholic School
Enrolment at St Philomena’s School is continuous across K-10. All Year 6 students will have a place in Year 7 next year and parents/carers are asked to confirm their daughter/son’s continuing enrolment in 2022.A new enrolment form is not required.
Planning for next year is well underway and parents/carers are asked to complete the attached Google Form by clicking on this link confirming your child’s continued enrolment in Year 7 for 2022. Please complete the Google Form by no later than Thursday 9th September, 2021.
PRIMARY PUBLIC SPEAKING COMPETITION
Each year, students from Years 3 - 6 are involved in our Public Speaking Competition. Throughout Week 7 (beginning 23 August) students will be presenting their speeches in class. To be eligible for the finals, students must be ready to present from the Monday of Week 7. Semi-finalists are chosen from each of the class groups within the grade. These students then give their speech to the whole grade and between 4 and 6 (depending on the grade size) finalists are chosen. Parents of finalists are specifically invited to the finals which will be held in Week 9 on Thursday 9th September, pending Covid restrictions. Parents do not attend the in-class presentations.
- Allstudents are required to present a speech, on any chosen topic, to their class. We suggest that students choose something that they can speak knowledgeably about.
- Speeches are written and rehearsed at home.
- Parents are allowed to offer as much support as they can - this can include helping your child to write their speech.
- Students are encouraged to use palm cards (not pages) during the presentation of their speech.
Time limits for speeches
Year 3 and 4: 3-4 minutes.
Year 5 and 6: 4-5 minutes.
The criteria for judging includes how the speaker:
- Captures and maintains the interest of their audience.
- Makes eye contact.
- Delivers their speech fluently.
- Meets the given time frame.
- Relies on their notes.
Should you have any questions regarding your child’s participation in the Public Speaking Competition, please contact their classroom Leader of Learning.
Primary Concert- Save the Dates!