At Numurkah Primary School we are committed to a culture of reading. Every day during the literacy session our students engage in reading in a variety of ways. Attached are photos of students reading and learning new sight words in the Prep – 2 area of our school. Here are ten reasons for children to embrace reading:
1. Children who read often and widely get better at it.
2. Reading exercises our brain.
3. Reading improves concentration.
4. Reading teaches children about the world around them.
5. Reading improves vocabulary and language skills.
6. Reading helps to develop a child’s imagination.
7. Reading helps children to develop empathy.
8. Reading is fun.
9. Reading is a great way to spend time together.
10. Children who read achieve better in school.
David Jenner - Teacher