eSafety Parent Webinars
For parents who would like to learn more about supporting the safety of their young people online, there are a range of webinars still available between now and the end of the year.
Dates and details are available at https://www.esafety.gov.au/parents/webinars
Tech Abuse – what to look out for and how to support others.
Take care of yourself and your friends by getting to know the signs of relationship red flags.
The eSafety Commissioner describes tech abuse as something that’s become a key part of family violence, with more than 99% of Australians who have experienced family violence also experiencing tech abuse.
So, what does tech abuse from a partner or ex look like? Broadly speaking, it’s using technology to harass, stalk, impersonate or threaten. It can include:
- Sending abusive or threatening messages
- Persistently calling you, even when you’ve made it clear you won’t or can’t answer their calls
- Tracking your location, with or without your knowledge
- Hiding cameras to watch you
- Gaining access to your online accounts – like email, social media and bank accounts – to Monitor what you’re doing, impersonate you or lock you out. (Using material inappropriately to hurt or harm another person)
- Sharing (or threatening to share) intimate videos or photos of you.
How to talk to your friends about tech abuse and tech facilitated violence If you’re worried that someone you love is experiencing tech abuse, there are a number of ways you can support them.
Remember that being too direct about your concerns, or what you think they should do, can actually be unhelpful and push them away. Prioritise listening to and believing your friend. Make it clear that you care and will be there for them, in the ways they ask.
When they are ready to hear it, remind them that tech abuse is abuse. They do not have to wait for something “worse” or physical to happen to seek help from specialist support organisations, the eSafety Commissioner or the legal and justice systems.
If they are worried about their online activity being tracked, help them safely access the eSafety Commissioner’s tips for protecting themselves. Offer to let them use your phone or computer when needed, and agree on “passwords” or “codewords” that their abuser wouldn’t recognise if intercepted. Please report it to a Head of House, a member of the Counselling team, Ms de Zylva or Ms Mackin.
Please report any incidents of cyber bullying directly to https://www.esafety.gov.au/report
There are several activities that have been advertised by Casey Youth Service. There are enormous benefits and opportunities for students to develop their leadership skills and plan and prepare for events in the local area. Nossal students are often natural leaders, and their input is often valued and appreciated by the staff at Casey Youth Services.
Students are encouraged to register their interest in these events.
Calling all young people in Casey aged 12-25!Casey Youth Services and FReeZA – Youth Committee – Ignite Entertainment are excited to invite you to two big events coming up in November and December:
1. Open Mic NightDate: Tuesday 21 November 2023 Time: 6pm-8pm Location: Narre Warren Youth Information Centre | 52 Webb Street, Narre Warren Cost: FREECalling all performers and audience members who would like to support local talent and young people! We are excited to invite you to our Open Mic Night event, showcasing the talents of young people aged 12-25 years. All different performances are welcome, including comedy, dancing, musical, and more! The event is a good opportunity for students to practice and showcase their talents.In addition to the open mic, there will also be extra activities such as airbrush tattooing and live karaoke.To register to perform at the open mic or to watch, please visit the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/Vpm3mp8ana
2. Jingle and Jam Christmas Celebration Date: Wednesday 20 December 2023 Time: 5.30pm – 9.30pm Location: Narre Warren Youth Information Centre: 52 Webb Street, Narre Warren Cost: $12
Calling all young people in Casey aged 12-25!Get ready to jingle and jam this Christmas with the Casey FReeZA Youth Committee - IGN!TE Entertainment's Jingle and Jam Christmas Celebration! This exclusive event for Casey youth will be packed with fun and festive activities, including:
- Live music from local bands, musicians, and DJs
- Delicious Christmas dinner and desserts
- Thrilling mini golf
- Engaging games and prizes
- Trendy airbrush tattoos
- Live karaoke
- A photo booth
- A Casey 360 bus with its entertainment
- And much more!
This amazing event costs just $12, but places are limited, so book early to avoid disappointment. Spend Christmas with your friends and join us for an unforgettable day!
Book your tickets now: https://www.trybooking.com/CMQJM
3. FReeZA – Youth Committee Program Recruitment – Expression of Interest 2024Calling all young people in Casey aged 12-25! Are you interested in learning about event management and making a difference in your community? If so, then we encourage you to express your interest in joining the FReeZA Youth Committee 2024!The Casey FReeZA Youth Committee – IGN!TE Entertainment is a group of young people who are passionate about planning and delivering drug, alcohol, and smoke-free events for their peers. As a committee member, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about event management from experienced professionals
- Gain valuable hands-on experience in all aspects of event management
- Meet other young people from your community and make a difference
- Develop valuable skills that you can use in your future career or simply to make a difference in your communities
- Have the opportunity to plan and deliver drug, alcohol, and smoke-free events for your peers
- Make a real difference in your community by providing safe and fun spaces for young people to socialize and express themselves
- Network with other young people and professionals
To express your interest in joining the FReeZA Youth Committee 2024, please visit the following link and complete the expression of interest online form: https://forms.office.com/r/CsprbHTwSN?origin=lprLink
Applications close on 9 February 2024.