Early Departure Reminder to Parents
A student who needs to be excused from school for any part of the day must bring a note signed by their parent/carer, specifying the date, time and reason for the absence, and present this note to the Attendance Officer.
Prior to departure from school the student must scan out via the attendance kiosk. The printed pass from the kiosk must be shown to the Attendance Officer who will provide the student with an Early Leaver Pass.
Students must show staff the pass as they leave if requested. Students are not allowed to leave school grounds during the day. Specific exceptions to this rule exist for Year 12 students only, as follows:
- Year 12s have permission to study at the Berwick Campus of Federation University in their study periods, but they must sign out when they leave and in again when they return.
- Year 12s are also permitted to sign out and leave after Period 4 if they have a study period during Period 5.
We have recently had a number of parents come to reception to collect their children without prior notification to the school. We understand that some last minute circumstances/ emergencies happen. However, if students have dentist or medical appointments booked in advance, they should be providing the Attendance Officer with an absence note. This not only helps us in the front office locate the student, but it also alerts the teachers (via an absence note and a Compass notification) that their student is leaving their class early. Thank you.
Excerpt from the 2023 Student Handbook...
In line with DET policy, mobile phones are banned at Nossal High School during class time.
Students who bring their phones to school are expected to leave these in their lockers before the start of each tutorial session, and only retrieve them at the end of the day.
Students who use mobile phones during the day will have their phones confiscated.
- The first time this happens, they will be able to collect their phones from the front office at the end of the day.
- The more times your phone has to be confiscated, the more consequences there will be. After multiple confiscations, you will not be able to collect your phone yourself. Your parents will have to come in and speak to a member of staff in order to retrieve your phone.
From time to time, your teacher/s will seek approval from the Principal to run an activity which includes the use of mobile phones. On these occasions, you will be able to carry your phone with you only during the lessons for which their use is authorized. Mobile phone use is typically also authorized when students are on excursions from the school.
If you are using your phone in class, this may include using it as a camera to document the work you are doing. Under these circumstances we expect that you will
- only take photos and record sound or video when it is a permitted activity of a class or lesson,
- seek (written) permission from individuals involved before taking photos, recording sound or videoing them (including teachers),
- seek specific permission from individuals involved before publishing or sending photos, recorded sound or video to anyone else or to any online space,
- respect others when you talk to and work with them online and never write or participate in online bullying, and
- seek teacher permission before uploading any content to websites (e.g. blogs).
Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF)
Submitting an application
The Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF) system is open for schools to enter applications from 30 January 2023. Parents/carers wishing to apply for CSEF payments for 2023 must submit their application form to the relevant school before Friday 23 June 2023.
However, a parent/carer will only be required to submit an application form to the school in the following circumstances:
- the parent/carer is applying for the CSEF payment for the first time – i.e. an application form was not lodged with the school in the previous year, or
- circumstances have changed – for example, there has been a change in the care arrangement of the student, a change of name or CRN, or a new sibling has started at the school and the parent/carer wishes to apply for the CSEF payment for the new sibling also.
Where a parent/carer is not required to submit a new application, schools can rollover/copy the previous year’s application on the CSEF system to the current school year.
Schools must retain application forms for a minimum of 7 years.
CSEF applications may be audited by the department.
Schools are able to accept and process applications up until Friday 23 June.
- Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund application form (PDF)
- Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund application form (DOCX)
For more information go to
Payment of Parent Contributions can be made in person, by phone or through the Compass online portal.
Below are links to the 'How To' guides for making payments through Compass.
Please note: The payment by Term (4 instalments) is the only option for payment by instalment in 2023.
Questions and enquiries regarding Parent Contributions can be made:
- in person at the front office
- by phone on 8762 4600
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date with Nossal.
Are you following our social media channels?
While we post notifications on Compass, send home emails and/or text messages when important events and information need to be shared with our families and community, and keep you informed about what has happened with our fortnightly newsletter, Nossal also has a number of social media pages which we use for reminders and also to share exciting news.
If you don't already follow us though one of these, please consider joining or liking our pages and get all the reminders and news we share on social media!
Follow us at:
Did you know?
Did you know our newsletter can now be translated into a number of different languages? This is a relatively new feature of the software program we use and can be turned on or off using the language selector in the lower left corner of each page.