Message from the Director of Learning
- Mr. Tom Tahos
We are nearly at the end of Term 1. A lot of positive feedback around the middle school students and activities has been passed on to me.
More and more, students are receiving certificates of recognition for following our Westall Way learning behaviours, resulting in earning Westall Points; fantastic effort! A great opportunity now for all students to strive for these certificates.
Remember our school expectations in the following areas should be at the forefront of our thinking.
- Student attendance and punctuality (getting to class on time);
- Wearing the correct uniform;
- Coming to class with the correct equipment;
- Completing work tasks at school and at home;
- Following Westall Way school values and behaviours;
- No mobile phones during school times.
Have a wonderful and safe term break!
Respectful Relationships Program
Year 9 students are currently working through ‘Healthy Respectful Relationships’ as part of their Health and Physical Education classes. Throughout this topic, students have been exploring key elements of respectful relationships.
The following key themes are covered:
- Qualities essential for forming positive relationships;
- Types of relationships;
- Understanding the diverse nature of relationships;
- Rights and responsibilities relating to relationships;
- Possible consequences with intimate relationships;
- Safety with relationships and
- Support services within the community.
Students have also participated in the ‘Love Bites’ Respectful Relationships workshops conducted by our school nurse, which covered some of the above themes in greater depth.
Some key strategies have been explored, in particular:
- Conflict resolution skills;
- Effective communication skills;
- Awareness of and acceptance of the diversity of relationships;
- Making decisions about intimate relationships;
- Safety considerations - rights and responsibilities, consent and protection.